S2: Reflection 3 - (School Placement)


Classroom Displays

In the majority of my coursework, in particular my literacy and school placement modules, there has been a big emphasis on classroom displays. It is widely accepted that classrooms should be bright, vibrant rooms full of children’s creations and work. However, in my SP classroom, there isn’t all that much colour or decoration in the room and I wasn’t sure why. I have since come to learn that there is a child with ASD in the class; for this reason displays are limited to avoid overstimulating or overwhelming the child. It has really put into perspective the different challenges you can come up against in the classroom. The thing that struck me the most was how vital it is going to be to strike the right balance to cater for the needs of the general population of the class simultaneously to that of a child with SEN.



Comments