S1: Reflection 4 - (Reflective Tutorial)




Picture Books e.g. Floss by Kim Lewis

Our reflective tutorial about children's learning got me thinking about what we have been learning about in Early Education and how children predominantly learn through language. One significant tool in language development is the use of picture books. I always knew books were important but I never really knew why. It’s been so interesting because it’s has led me to reflect on my own childhood experiences, to discover that half the time I didn’t even realise I was learning at all! It also made me think about how I’ve unknowingly adopted some of these techniques myself when reading to the children in an after school I worked in e.g. subconsciously asking lower and higher order questions because it felt like the right thing to do; little did I know the profound effect it can actually have in advancing their language development. 


Comments