S1: Reflection 1 - (Coursework)


Mascots

I learned what a useful tool a ‘mascot’ can be in the classroom. The thing that struck me the most about using a mascot is what a diverse multidisciplinary tool it can be in regard to the development of skills. I was able to produce a positive learning outcome for every activity I could think of e.g. if children take turns in bringing the mascot home it promotes taking responsibility; writing and depicting an account of their experience will advance writing skills; presenting their account to the class encourages discussion and develops communication skills, as well as confidence. A mascot can help teach lessons e.g. hibernation. If the mascot went home with the students a second time later in the year, it could be used to show a child’s progression - comparing their first account with the second. The idea of class mascot was a new one to me and I think it is an absolutely brilliant idea. It is something that I would love to implement in my own classroom one day.



Comments